If your mini-split isn’t blowing cold or hot air, don’t panic! There are a few common reasons why this might be happening, and we’re here to help you with mini-split troubleshooting.
Let’s discuss some of the most common mini-split problems and how to fix them. So whether your mini-split is blowing warm air in the summer or not putting out any cold air, keep reading for some helpful tips.
Why is My Mini-Split Air Conditioner Not Getting Cold?
If your mini-split air conditioner is not getting cold and blowing hot air, there are a few items you can check on the indoor and outdoor unit.
- First, check to make sure that the unit is properly filled with refrigerant. If it is low, you will need to add more to get the unit working correctly.
- Another potential issue is that the air filter may be dirty, restricting airflow and preventing the indoor air handler from cooling properly. It’s important to clean the indoor unit occasionally to avoid dust buildup.
- The evaporator coils may be frozen or have an ice buildup, preventing the unit from cooling effectively. A frozen coil can cause your ductless mini-split system to have a refrigerant leak, so be sure to check this area.
If you have checked all of these items and the air conditioning unit still isn’t cooling properly, there may be a problem with the compressor or other system parts. In this case, it’s best to call a qualified technician to diagnose and repair the problem.
How Do You Reset a Ductless Mini-Split AC System?
There are a few different ways that you can reset your mini-split system. The most common way is to unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in. This will usually clear any minor errors that may have caused the system to malfunction.
If your system has an emergency power switch, you can generally reset the unit by flipping the switch and then waiting for a few minutes before flipping it back on. If you are still having trouble resetting your mini-split system, you may need to consult your owner’s manual or contact our professionals for assistance.
Why is My Mini-Split Making Strange Noises?
While they are generally quiet, some users may notice different sounds from their unit. In most cases, these noises are nothing to worry about and can be easily resolved.
Here are some of the most common causes of strange noises in mini-splits and what you can do about them:
- The first thing to check is the outdoor unit. Anything obstructing the fan, such as leaves or debris, can cause a rattling noise. Simply remove the obstruction and see if the noise goes away.
- Another common cause of strange noises is loose parts. Again, checking the outdoor unit and tightening any loose screws should fix the problem.
- Pull the screen or front panel off the indoor unit and ensure there isn’t any debris, dirt, or dust sitting in it. It’s a good idea to clean your indoor unit routinely to make sure your mini split works properly.
If you have checked the indoor and outdoor units and cannot identify the noise source, it may be time to contact a professional for assistance. In some cases, strange noises can indicate a more serious problem, such as water damage or leaks.
Outdoor Unit Isn’t Turning On
You may notice that your outdoor unit isn’t turning on. Here are a few things you can check before you call a technician:
- Make sure that the power is turned on to the outdoor unit. There is usually a switch near the system, or you may need to go to your breaker box.
- Check to see if the outdoor unit is getting power. You can do this by testing the circuit breaker or contacting your power company or an electrician.
- Check the error code to see if you have a communication error between the outdoor and indoor units. This could be a wiring issue, or a wire just may be loose. You may need to call a technician to come and take a look.
Otherwise, if the outdoor unit is getting power but isn’t turning on, there may be an issue with the compressor. This is a more serious problem that requires a technician’s help.
Why is My Mini-Split Not Heating?
Mini-splits are a great way to heat your home, but they can sometimes have problems. If your mini-split is not heating, there are a few things you can check.
Ensure the thermostat is set to “heat” mode and the temperature is turned up. Just like with cooling issues, it’s essential to check the air filters and replace or wash them if necessary. It’s also a good idea to check the outdoor unit to ensure nothing is blocking the airflow.
Other Common Mini-Split Problems
Ductless mini-splits are popular for home heating and cooling, but like any mechanical system, they are subject to occasional problems.
One common issue is unauthorized access to the outdoor unit, which can allow dust and debris to enter the system and interfere with its operation. Another potential problem is ice buildup on the evaporator coils, which can reduce efficiency and cause the unit to overheat.
In some cases, the outdoor unit may also develop leaks in the drain line resulting in water damage to the surrounding area.
While ductless mini-split systems are generally reliable, periodic maintenance is necessary to keep them running smoothly. You can ensure that your ductless mini-split will provide years of trouble-free operation by keeping an eye out for these common issues.
Contact the Energy-Efficiency Professionals to Take Care of Your Mini-Split System
Ductless mini-splits are a great way to heat and cool your home, but they can be tricky to repair if you don’t have experience. That’s why it’s always a good idea to call in a professional when you’re having issues with your mini-split.
Energy Monster technicians are highly trained in repairing all types of HVAC systems, and we can help you get your mini-split back up and running quickly and efficiently. We understand that ductless mini-splits can be a bit of an investment, so we always work hard to get them back up and running as soon as possible. Contact our team today, and we’ll be happy to help you with any ductless mini-split issues and other residential services.