We have recently learned that there have been companies and contractors representing themselves as Home Energy Auditors in order to take advantage of homeowners. These companies are cold-calling and even going door to door offering low-cost energy audits and implying that they are affiliated with National Grid or other weatherization programs. They then perform mock energy audits and then up-sell substandard installation and repair work to the homeowner.
So how do you know when a Home Energy Auditor is real?
- Customers are not charged for VALID Home Energy Assessments sponsored by their utilities.
- Utilities’ sponsored Home Energy Assessment Companies will NOT do cold calls
- Representatives of the official program will clearly identify themselves as representing Mass Save Home Energy Services or other affiliated programs.
- Look for companies affiliated with one or more of these programs: Mass Save, NSTAR, National Grid, Conservation Services Group, Center for Echo Technology, Columbia, WMECO, or Honeywell.
- Ask for Certifications, a BPI (Building Performance Institute) Accreditation and HIC, CSL or iCSL.
- You will need to Schedule an Assessment with any Valid Home Energy Assessment program.
- Check Angie’s List or the Better Business Bureau for the company’s profile, accreditations and reviews.
Energy Monster is an Official Mass Save Energy Partner for Central Massachusetts. If you are interested in a Home Energy Audit or if you have any questions about the Mass Save Program, please call us at: (508) 796-5525.